10 Things That Weaken Your Immune System
Having a healthy immune system plays an important part in your body’s ability to fight viruses, germs and infections. Here are 10 things that weaken your immune system, which by combatting, can help to protect our immune systems from becoming compromised.
- Lack of sleep. A Lack of sleep means that you are more likely to catch viruses and germs and you can take longer to get better.
- Anxiety. Stress and worry aren’t great germ fighters. Anxious thoughts can weaken your immune response in as little as 30 minutes. Constant stress takes an even bigger toll making it harder to fend of illnesses.
- Low Vitamin D. Vitamin D boosts your immune system. It can be found in eggs, fatty fish. Look at taking a Vitamin D supplement
- Not Enough Fresh Fruit and Vegetables, Nuts and Seeds. Foods help your body make more white blood cells which are need to fight off infections. Good to get a wide range regularly to give your body all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. Plant based food fill you up with fibre which helps lower your body fat percentage, which can strengthen your immune response.
- High Fat Diets. Certain oils hinder the germ fighting white blood cells. Long term high fat diets can upset the balance of bacteria in your gut that help promote a good immune response.
- Too little time outdoors. Humans evolved on a planet with a 24-hour cycle of light and dark. We produce vitamin D in the skin in response to UVB exposure.
- Smoking. Nicotine and vaping can weaken your bodies ability to fight germs.
- Alcohol. Alcohol slows your bodies ability to fight germs for up to 24 hours.
- Grief. Some evidence shows that grief can depress your bodies immunity.
- Lack of exercise. Exercise helps blood get around your body more efficiently which means that germ fighting substances go where they need to go. Regular exercise appears to help your body fight against illness.
Contact The Body Matters on 01702 714968, where we can direct you to someone who can help.